About Selkirk College
QR Code Link to This Post
Selkirk College is one of the oldest regional college in the province with over 36,000 graduated students since opening in 1966. With eight campus locations, Selkirk offers 60-plus nationally recognized programs to about 2,700 full-time learners per year. Each year about 10,000 people take a course at Selkirk College including international students from 34 different countries. Located admist the breathtaking beauty of southern British Columbia, Selkirk College is large enough to provide quality student services and facilities, yet stmall enough to offer individual support, small class sizes and an extra dose of attention not found in most post-secondary institutions. This role will work out of the Castlegar, British Columbia campus.
The Database Administrator at Selkirk will be responsible for the design, maintenance, and operational support of all database systems at the college. Selkirk is looking for a self-starter who is interested in establishing best practices and working collaboratively with the IT team and business areas. The DBA will also have responsibilities for reporting which will require leveraging existing reporting tools and systems, and selecting additional reporting toolsets. This position will be responsible for establishing standards and processes for data management and improvement to data quality, and supporting the college’s reporting needs through report development and end user report development training.
The DBA will also be a key resource on project Aurora, a transformation project where Selkirk is implementing new enterprise systems for managing Finance, HR, Payroll, and Student Information. This project will give the DBA the opportunity to help define the future state for data at the college and enable the transformation both from a planning perspective as well as data migration projects.
1. Administer Selkirk information systems by:
• Designing and planning enterprise data solutions for the College;
• Design and development of a data warehouse for enterprise reporting;
• Optimizing system performance, monitoring of resource usage and troubleshooting issues as needed;
• Developing, implementing, and testing backup and retention processes.
• Maintaining documentation for all systems such as the data catalog, and data flow diagrams;
• Documenting data management procedures
2. Manages reporting at the College by:
• Designing and planning for needed reporting toolsets and standards and training end-users in these tools;
• Establishing and maintaining data standards and leading a data quality program;
• Developing reports to respond to ad hoc needs for specific data;
• Maintaining and enhancing the Data Warehouse submissions and reports;
• Validating reports generated by external groups against the College’s own data.
3. Develops and supports software applications by:
• Leading or being a member of teams working on small to large-scale information technology projects;
• Consulting with business users to gather requirements for developing solutions;
• Responding to requests for service, providing appropriate resolutions;
• Researching, testing, building and deploying databases and reports as part of solutions that address Information Systems problems and needs; and
• Creating and maintaining accurate and concise documentation related to the development, installation, configuration and maintenance of all supported systems.
4. Engages in professional development activities by:
• Selecting relevant discipline-related activities to remain current in his/her field;
• Maintaining professional organization memberships appropriate for the position;
• Networking with colleagues; and
• Assisting in the delivery of professional development activities to the College, the Community and to industry.
Education and Experience
• BSc Degree in Computer Science combined with a minimum of at least 3 – 5 years of directly related experience; or, a two-year diploma in Computer Information Systems with a minimum of 5 years or more of directly related experience from an appropriately accredited institution.
• Proficiency with Oracle, MSSQL and MySQL implementation, administration and security.
• Expertise with at least one enterprise reporting technology such as SQL Server Reporting Services, PowerBI, or Tableau.
• (Preferred) Training in ITIL or experience with a formal IT Service Management standard.
• (Preferred) Experience working with Microsoft Azure.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
• SQL scripting, including developing stored procedures and functions with MS SQL and Oracle;
• ETL development with tools such as SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) or Talend;
• Report development and information visualization best practices;
• Capability with current scripting technologies such as PowerShell;
• Demonstrated success as a team member, in leadership roles and working autonomously;
• Strong communication, collaboration and interpersonal skills;
• Demonstrated ability to produce and maintain high quality technical documentation;
• Ability to conduct research, produce reports and make appropriate recommendations;
• Ability to multitask, prioritize, and meet deadlines; and,
• Ability to contribute to Department and/or College initiatives
If you feel you have the demonstrated background and are interested in learning more about this career opportunity, please follow the link to apply or contact our Recruitment Consultant, AJ Beaudry, at show contact info
for more information.